Where to start, where to start. So many past stories I want to share...yet the present keeps throwing adventures into our lives daily. But I've got to post of this grand adventure from back in the fall. Flu shot day...for both boys.
Any of you that have ever taken multiple children to get shots at one time should have a clear idea of where this story is headed. Owen needed his 18 month shots, and both boys needed a flu shot. Well, I'm no dummy (at least I think that, but my 1 and 4 yr old keep proving me wrong!) so I did not tell Will that he'd be getting a shot too, I planned to wait until he asked. Mercifully, he thought he was just going to help Owen get his shots and see his doctor, whom Will ADORES. Well, Owen gets checked out, we talk to the doc and he is very careful to not say the word "shot" in front of Will. He leaves and we are hanging out in our little room, waiting for the nurse (who was apparently on a long phone call). Will and I are reading and Owen is doing what Owen does best...being loud. Crashing his plastic "Push and Go Thomas" train into the door at full speed. I'm sure the people in the rooms around us were appreciative. All of a sudden, Will looks at me with his big ole blue eyes and said "Dr. Purvis said I needed a vaccine. What's a vaccine, Mommy?" Yep, I was smooth busted. I explained that it was a "little bitty shot that wasn't going to hurt much at all" and that I'd need him to be a big boy and help me while Owen was getting his 4 shots. Obviously, Will could have cared less about the size of the shot or how many Owen would be getting, but it was worth a try, right? Then, Will jumps down out of my lap, turns at me with the angriest eyes he could muster, clenches his fist and yells "You make my heart so MAD, Mommy!! My heart is so MAD AT YOU!!" Then he starts to sob and pace the room. Then Owen takes a break from trying his best to plow a hole in the door, notices Will is sobbing, and decides that something must be wrong worth crying about and begins to sob as well. Awesome. This goes on for about 5 minutes until I finally get Will sidetracked with the camera on my cell phone and Owen back to destroying something, though it escapes me now what it was. I just know it was loud. Our nurse walks in, and Will gets his flu shot first. He kicks and flails his way onto the table, gets a shot and doesn't even realize the shot was over until we told him he could get down. I get Owen up on the table for his series of shots and realize that Will has collapsed onto the floor sobbing about how badly his leg hurts. We get Owen pinned down long enough for shots and Owen does what you'd expect from him...he comes up swinging. Throwing both fists in pure fury at anyone close enough to notice. But by the time I get his feet on the floor, he picks up his train and is perfectly happy in life. Will (who only got one shot compared to Owen's 4) is STILL on the floor sobbing. I somehow get our bags together, open the door and Will begins to crawl on the floor dragging his leg behind him saying "My leg hurts...my HEART hurts. My leg hurts...my HEART hurts." (While Owen is running full speed ahead to the front. He's no fool...he knows where the suckers are!) Well, the nurses step politely over him and we get to the checkout counter where he finally decides that walking would be better at getting him out of the doctor's office with any amount of speed and we go on our way. Daddy will definitely be coming along next time...although I must say that now that we are removed from that lovely visit...the picture of Will dragging his leg behind him down the hall and Owen running happily for the sucker basket makes me laugh out loud. There are REASONS they don't tell you these things before you have kids! :-) But while they might make for bad days, they sure do make for interesting and often good memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment