Ok, so those of you that know my children know that Will is, for the most part, calm and sharp and witty. Owen is pretty much a train of destruction. He's adorable and smart, coupled with fearless and VERY "passionate" (about everything) with lots and lots and lots of energy. Remember the Tazmanian Devil from the old Buggs Bunny cartoons? That's Owen.
I pretty much live in fear of the things that Will will think up and dare Owen to do...
So tonight. It followed a really long day. Will was home sick with croup, so we spent 2 hours at the doctors office, brought Will home for a nap, and Owen did not nap. Our DVD player is broken (yeah, all you parents who don't have cable are feeling me now, aren't you), and Owen was in full "Owen form." Full steam ahead and heaven help what's in his way. Every furniture cushion in the living room ended up on the floor to dive on, every toy on top of the cushions, you get the drift. I called my mom just before dinner to try and gain some sympathy for my insane day, and of course right when I really needed 3 minutes of alone time to chat, they followed me into my office, while I tried to relay the story of my day to my mom. After ~60 seconds, Owen starts trying to close Will into the office door. Literally, and for fun. Only Will didn't think it was fun. Mom had to get called back, children kicked out of office and I removed Owen from hanging off of the office doorknob.
**Time out for a note** We've discovered many things about our house that are "interesting" and one is that the doorknob on our office door has a keyhole...they just had an extra exterior doorknob and stuck it on the office door. But no key. This was news to us. It's amazing how many keys fit in the keyhole, but do not turn.** Note Over.
Apparently in the process of playing with the office door, Owen figured out how to turn the inside lock. Hadn't happened in 3 yrs and won't happen again seeing as the lock has now been removed. Mommy didn't notice that my 22 month old locked the door, so I turned off the lights and closed the door behind me (praise the Lord Owen LEFT the room before the door was shut). I'll end this the short way...it took a locksmith 2 hours to undo what my 22 month old managed to do in 5 minutes. (except right when the locksmith went out to call his boss and admit defeat, Wes borrowed his tools and managed to unlock the knob!!). It's seriously 10:45pm and the locksmith just left about 45 minutes ago.
And what was tonight going to be? Oh, yeah, relaxing movie night for Wes and myself. We'll try again tomorrow. I'm going to bed!!
2 comments:
I have been online looking for my own lockpicking set. I am thinking of offering this as a side-business, seeing as how we ultimately got to pay a locksmith $52 for the privilege of me opening my own lock with his tools.
So sorry about the craziness...and the expense! Ugh. Wes, you and David could go into business together b/c I once got locked into our bathroom, and he had to take off the doorknob to get me out. Ah, life would be so boring if it weren't for moments like these. :)
Post a Comment