I know it has been quite some time since I've updated the blog. Time has gotten away from me. And I was also saving up some pictures to post and give a big update on all that is new at our house...but tragedy struck and it appears that our camera (with it's pictures) has been lost. As in, "fallen off the roof of my car while driving" lost. I'm still holding my breath a little, but preparing myself to start camera shopping. If anyone loves their digital (and reasonably affordable) camera...I'm taking recommendations!
Several things are new at our house. First, Will has started taking karate. I had pics to post of him in his Gi...but for now, take my word for it...the kid looks adorable. I had to hem the pants two times over to make them remotely wearable, and we roll the sleeves up. Anyway, he is taking Shodokan and I've been very impressed with the instructors and what they are teaching. I consider this "old school" karate. Not a lot of pressure for tournaments or anything, it is focused on balance and movements and learning self-discipline. Will is the youngest in the class by at least a year, and he's working hard to keep up. Although his attention is completely shot after ~45 minutes. This week I caught him using his belt as a gun during the cool-down exercises. But he is trying hard and we are hoping it will help his balance a good deal over time (lack of good balance is still a lingering effect of the leg break, esp as he's hitting all of these growth spurts).
Next on new things is that Will is also playing soccer. Yes, I know this sounds like a lot for a 4 year old, but the soccer is only for 6 weeks. (when I talked to the orthopedic nurse she felt like the combination might be good for 6 weeks to make him really focus on balance and using one leg at a time). Wes is the assistant coach on Will's 3 and 4 yr old team at the YMCA. We had our first practice last night and it was so cute. The kids did lots better than I expected them too, although the coach did acknowledge that it's like "herding cats." Will did great. He's not always the most coordinated athletically so I wasn't sure how it would go. I was impressed. He ran and kicked that ball like he meant business. Of course, when one kid had the ball and was kicking it the other kids were sort of like a moving herd around the ball...and they often ran right past the goal to the goal on the other field. But they were all playing hard and having a ball. Lots of laughing. Now, the first game is tomorrow morning and we shall see what happens when the other team starts taking the ball from them. I do know that there are some excited little 3 and 4 yr olds who LOVE to put their hands in the circle and say "GO GREEN TEAM." Oh, I could just eat 'em up, they are so cute. (and for those wondering...I did go get shin guards this morning...since Will has broken his tibia once already. I'm a shade paranoid about leg bones at this point. I didn't figure Wes would swing for full body armor just yet).
Now, anyone want a new Owen story? While I can think of several, they all have to do with Owen sprinting away into some high adventure (read: high traffic or crowd) area. As I have told Wes, I am officially NOT in a flip-flop wearing phase of life. I need sprinting shoes on my feet at all times. There have been quite a few times in the last month that I've realized exactly why God made me a runner. Although I don't consider myself a sprinter by any stretch...when necessary...sprint practice in college has come back to make for some outright stunning displays of sprinting after Owen recently. So...I'm in the market for some summer hiking type sandals that allow me to sprint in an instant. I'll wear cute flip flops in another phase of life.
Most recent sprinting story is from the zoo earlier this week. We went with some friends...and let me explain about the zoo during spring break. It was...a ZOO! Ha! Ok, stop rolling your eyes...it was too good to pass up. Seriously, there were hundreds and hundreds of people there. A good 30 minute wait in line just to get through the front gate. Once we were all in though, we had a great time. Owen and Will both love animals, especially the elephants. For most of the time there, Owen was strapped into the double stroller next to his good buddy Bryce. They did pretty well as long as we kept things moving. Well, we got to lunch. And Owen had had enough of being strapped in. The kid is perpetual motion...even in sleep. I'm impressed he lasted as long as he did in the stroller. Well, he actually figured his way out of the seat belt while we were eating, so since we were contained in an area that was closed in on 3 sides by a wall, I let him out to look at things over the wall. Never again. Within 30 seconds he was on the other side of the wall and taking a little jog up the path back to the elephants. Enter one of Melissa's full out sprints. He gave me a heart attack b/c his little self got lost in that big crowd so fast it took me a second to really get to him and scoop him up. The kid is faster than anything I've ever seen at getting away somewhere.
Another cute mental pic of Owen (until I get real pics again)...he LOVES that Will is playing soccer. B/c he thinks HE gets to play soccer. And Owen believes that he can and should be allowed to keep up with the big kids. (he probably could keep up with them). He was more excited on the way to soccer practice that Will was, holding the ball, tossing it around. He plowed right onto the field with the rest of the kids when we got there...I had to get a little side game of soccer going for him to be a distraction. By the time the practice was over...Owen positioned himself as the goalie and took the easy way out with the goal...he just pushed it over. And over again. He's so stinkin strong...and I have a real mental image of him now, when he's old enough to play. Owen will be the kid who hauls off and tackles the poor kid with the ball. Or, if he's goalie, just push the goal over on them. Our little 6 weeks of soccer will be fun for all 4 of us.
There will be real pics to come and I promise to update sooner next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment