We have made it through almost the first 6 weeks of kindergarten!!!! Will started at Clinton Park and has a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Landfair. We found out at registration that he had John David, a boy from his preschool class that he is good friends with, in his class...that really made Will excited. He also knew two other girls from his preschool class that are also in Mrs. Landfair's class. That is rare in such a big school!!!! Of course, Will tends to do things in unusual style, and true to form...he got sick (I know, not his fault!) with a big fever virus. So he had to miss his first two days of kindergarten. However, once Monday rolled around, he woke up singing and ready to go. Let me say...out of all of my "I'm sure I'll be fine...Will is so ready to go that I'm not worried about it" big talking...I cried like a baby watching him walk into that big school by himself. Any chance I had of composure went out the window when Owen said "Momma, I miss Will, let's go back." I'll also admit to being in the carpool line at 1:45 the first day (school doesn't get out until 2:25). I couldn't WAIT to see him. After the first day, I was much better and Will never missed a beat. What happened to my tentative child who preferred to stay by my legs? He hopped out the car like he was made for school and never looked back. I watched him take a big breath and knew he was nervous, but he walked into that school like he knew just what he was doing. The thing is, I'm learning that Will WAS made for school. He LOVES it. He even loves homework. He loves to practice writing his letters, and reading and all of those things. Of course, he will also tell you that his favorite thing about school is the awesome playground (it is awesome!). The first few weeks he was SO tired by the end of the week and was worried about having to go to school so much...he felt like he was missing out on playing and swimming and things like that. Once we got in the groove of being able to meet friends after school at parks, and swim at a sweet friend's house...he realized that he was busier but still able to do the things he was used to. He's pretty much rocking kindergarten now and really loves it.
Owen also started "big school"...meaning 3-yr-old preschool. Let me first say that he was DESTROYED about Will starting kindergarten. They were able to go to playdays together this summer and he was used to having Will at school with him. Also, I am SO blessed because Will and Owen truly are best friends (as I overheard Will tell Owen after Owen said "I'm your best friend, Will"...Will said "Owen, you are my brother and brothers are even better than best friends!"). Owen was just sad and unsure of what to do without his best friend at school. When Owen got to start preschool, he was not happy about it for a few days. He wanted Will with him and had decided that he was 5 and needed to be with Will at kindergarten. Starting preschool sorta destroyed the idea that he might get to somehow magically turn 5 and go to class with Will. Let's just say that, as much as Will was made for school...Owen has to adjust to school. I'm probably gonna owe Miss GG (Owen's teacher) a bottle of wine by Christmas! He's gotten in time-out a fair amount and for the most part is perfectly happy to explain to me why he got in trouble with no real remorse. I think we've finally gotten through to him that the goal is to NOT get in time-out...and the last 2 weeks seem to have been better. He really found school to be a shock the first few weeks and it was a hard time. But thanks to the wonderful teachers and director, he's definitely adjusting and figuring things out. He's had MUCH better weeks the last 2 weeks and has come home happy and, for the most part, likes to go. It helps that he's found a cute little blond gal that he has a crush on. :-) The starting of school has reminded me of HOW DIFFERENT my two children are. In case you'd never noticed. ;-)
Oh, one more funny Owen story that happened in the car-rider line. As we were sitting in the car line waiting for Will to get out of school I turned around and said "What's up back there, Owen?" I got a really cute grin and this response "Nuthin' but the ceiling, baby." From my 3-yr-old!!! Oh, my. I laughed for 2 days straight. Look out, girls, Trouble is coming, "baby."


No comments:
Post a Comment